Mr Vamvakas is the Chairman and CEO of TearLab Corporation.
Prior to TearLab, Mr. Vamvakas co-founded TLCVision (NASDAQ/TLCV, TSX/TLC) in 1993 where he served as President and CEO until 2003. Mr. Vamvakas as CEO, built TLC into the largest eye care service provider organization in North America with revenues of more than $300,000,000 as TLC opened or acquired more than 100 laser eye clinics, over 200 mobile laser sites, more than 250 mobile cataract locations, several ambulatory surgery centers; and through its subsidiary Vision Source Inc. developed the largest independent Optometric Franchise with more than 2,000 locations. TLC’s stock, listed on the TSX and NASDAQ since 1996, appreciated to well over $1 billion during his tenure.
Mr. Vamvakas also serves as Chairman of Greybrook Capital, a private equity investment firm that he founded.
Mr. Vamvakas has received many management awards from industry and his peers:
• 2005 – Voted “best of the best” by his peers
• 2000 – Recognized by Profit Magazine for managing Canada’s fastest growing company (TLC) with over 25,000% growth over five years
• 1999 – Received the Presidential Medal of Honor from the Illinois College of Optometry
• 1999 – Named Ernst & Young’s Canadian Entrepreneur of the Year for Innovative Partnering and Entrepreneur of the Year for Ontario in the Emerging Category
• 1996 – Named to “Canada’s Top Forty under Forty” (an award that recognizes the top forty Canadians under the age of forty)