Michael Belkin, MD
Prof. Michael Belkin, Emeritus professor of Ophthalmology in Tel Aviv University, received an MA degree in Science from Cambridge University, England, and an MD degree in Medicine from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel. He is the director of the Ophthalmic Technologies Laboratory at the university’s Eye Research Institute at the Sheba Medical Center and a senior advisor to the Singapore Eye Research Institute.
Author of over 250 scientific publications and over 35 patents.
Prof Belkin established and was the first full-time director of the Tel Aviv University Eye Research Institute. He was also:
• Head of the Research and Development branch of the Israeli military medical department.
• Head of the pediatric ophthalmology services of the Hadassah University Hospital and the Sheba Medical Center
• Chairman of the Tel-Aviv University Department of Ophthalmology
• President of the Israel Society of Eye and Vision Research of which he was a co-founder
• Chairman, Permanent Advisory Committee in Ophthalmology, Ministry of Health.
• Incumbent of the Tel Aviv University Sidney A. Fox Chair of Ophthalmology
• Chairman, Ophthalmology Committee, National Councils for Health
• Chairman, Commercial Relationship Committee, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
His laboratory is dedicated to enabling the transfer of technologies from university-level research to clinical practice by providing expertise and facilities for laboratory, preclinical and clinical studies.
Prof. Belkin was involved in the establishment of many medical start-ups in ophthalmology and other fields.